Saturday 8 December 2012

Scarecrow Mask Halloween Costume

This is a Halloween costume I made for my friend and thought I’d share the making process.

To start I used a swimming hat along with Vaseline to cover any hair on the as any exposed hair would stick to plaster and be very difficult to get off. I then with a bowl of warm water dipped the plaster bandage into it being careful to rub any excess off. I applied this to the face in an even coating and left to harden on the face for approximately 20 minutes. I removed the plaster bandage mask and left it to dry in a warm area for 24hours. 


Once the mask was fully dry (if it is still damp to the touch leave to dry longer) I cut-out the general shape of where the eyes and mouth would be. As I used plastic piping connectors for the vent at either side, using glue and more plaster bandage to set into place. I then painted round the exposed areas of the mask namely the eyes, vents and I used a black piece of cloth to cover the mouth area.


There were many different sackcloth materials which I looked at to cover the mask but I found that many sackcloth were woven sparsely, typically these were sackcloth that would be used for covering bushes from harsh weather in winter. I needed a very tight weave so that the underline shell of the mask could not be seen. I found rice sackcloth bags to be the best for this, I used sack string to sew in the stitches across parts of the face and this also helped to conceal the parts that had to be sewn together.


I then built up the area of the mask such as bumps and irregularities with more plaster bandage and again left to dry for 24hours. Finally sticking down the sackcloth material to the cased plaster, to blend the mask and make it look old and worn I used a combination of acrylic paints diluted in tea and tea bags to stain the sackcloth this took approximately three days to dry as the sackcloth had a waxy coating on it and the stand was slow to take to it. The hole project cost in the region $20 and took about a week to make, allowing for drying time.



No comments:

Post a Comment